Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Key Takeaways

Fact Description
Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? Yes, but it depends on the type of mushroom. Store-bought mushrooms are generally safe, but wild mushrooms can be toxic and potentially lethal.
Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, weakness, lethargy, yellowing of the skin (jaundice), uncoordinated movements, excessive drooling, staggering gait, seizures, coma, and death.
What to Do if Your Dog Eats a Mushroom If your dog eats any wild mushrooms, call your veterinarian immediately.

Understanding Mushrooms and Dogs

Mushrooms are a staple in many dishes and grow wild in our yards, gardens, and parks. But can dogs eat mushrooms? The answer depends entirely on the type of mushroom.

Store-bought vs Wild Mushrooms

Store-bought mushrooms like button, oyster, shiitake, and Portobello mushrooms are generally safe for dogs to eat. They contain vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients like fiber, protein, iron, magnesium, and vitamins A, B, C, and E.

However, wild mushrooms can be poisonous to dogs. Some varieties of toxic mushrooms like Amanita phalloides (death cap) and Inouye spp., have a fishy odor which dogs find particularly attractive.

Toxic Mushrooms

Not all wild mushrooms are poisonous to dogs but the list of those that are is long. Here are some of the common ones to stay away from:

  • Amanita phalloides (death cap mushroom)
  • Amanita bisporigera (death angel)
  • Chlorophyllum molybdites (false parasol)
  • Galerina marginata (funeral bell)
  • Gyromitra esculenta (false morel)
  • Amanita muscaria (fly agaric)

What to Do if Your Dog Eats a Mushroom

If your dog eats any wild mushrooms, call your veterinarian immediately. The sooner your dog receives veterinary attention, the better.

Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning

If your dog ate a poisonous mushroom, they’ll likely exhibit some of the following symptoms:

  1. Vomiting
  2. Diarrhea
  3. Abdominal pain
  4. Weakness
  5. Lethargy
  6. Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
  7. Uncoordinated movements
  8. Excessive drooling
  9. Staggering gait
  10. Seizures
  11. Coma
  12. Death

Related Questions

Question Answer
Are store-bought mushrooms good for dogs? Store-bought mushrooms aren’t toxic to dogs but they don’t offer many benefits either. There are much more nutritious fruits and veggies you can feed your pup as a snack1.
What should I do if my dog eats a wild mushroom? If you see your dog eat a wild mushroom, take a sample to bring to your veterinarian so they know what they’re dealing with. If your dog gobbled up the entire mushroom, describe its appearance and the surroundings to your vet as best as you can.


In conclusion, while some mushrooms can have health benefits for dogs just like humans certain species of mushrooms can be toxic and potentially lethal to your dog. Therefore it’s best to avoid feeding them to your dog.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Posts

About Us

Meet the passionate founders of Pet Everyday, a dynamic team of pet enthusiasts dedicated to creating a thriving community of animal lovers.

Follow us

Edit Template

© 2023 All Rights Reserved