Can Dogs Eat Plums? 

Key Takeaways

Information Details
Can Dogs Eat Plums? No, they’re toxic
Risks Cyanide poisoning, Choking hazard, Digestive obstruction
What to Do Contact a vet immediately if ingested

Plums are a delicious fruit enjoyed by many people, but “Can dogs eat plums?” The answer is a firm no. Plums can be harmful to dogs and should be avoided.

The Dangers of Plums for Dogs

Feeding your dog plums can lead to several health issues, including:

  1. Cyanide Poisoning: Plum pits contain cyanide, a toxic substance that can cause cyanide poisoning in dogs.
  2. Choking Hazard: The pit of a plum can pose a choking hazard to dogs.
  3. Digestive Obstruction: If swallowed, a plum pit can cause an intestinal blockage, which can be life-threatening.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Plums

If your dog consumes plums, it’s important to take immediate action:

  • Contact a Vet: If you suspect your dog has eaten plums, contact your vet immediately. They can provide guidance based on the amount and type of plums consumed.
  • Monitor Your Dog: Keep an eye on your dog for any signs of plum poisoning, including vomiting, decreased appetite, and lethargy.

Related Questions

Question Answer
What should I do if my dog eats a small amount of plums? Even a small amount of plums can be harmful. Contact your vet immediately if your dog consumes any amount of plums.
Are other fruits safe for dogs? Yes, many fruits are safe for dogs in moderation. However, always remove pits and seeds, as these can pose a choking hazard or cause digestive obstruction.


In conclusion, plums are toxic to dogs and should be avoided. If your dog does consume plums, contact a vet immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Posts

About Us

Meet the passionate founders of Pet Everyday, a dynamic team of pet enthusiasts dedicated to creating a thriving community of animal lovers.

Follow us

Edit Template

© 2023 All Rights Reserved